Biscuits & Gravy is one of our favourite recipes. It is quick and easy to do, and great for dinner! We love to have biscuits & gravy for breakfast on a cool fall day. I have not yet found a biscuit recipe that works for me, so I do cheat with the WalMart brand frozen biscuits, but they are so delicious, I’m ok with it.
- Mild Breakfast Sausage
- Hot Breakfast Sausage
- Whole Milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Walmart Brand Biscuits
- Pre-heat your oven to 400, and put your cast iron skillet in to heat up.
- Put the breakfast sausages in the pan (or large skillet) and brown. How chunky or fine the sausage ends up is up to you, just break it up as you see fit.
- Once the oven is pre-heated, take out the skillet, and place the biscuits in, making sure they are all touching (they rise better this way). Put the skillet back in the oven, and after 10 minutes, turn it in the other direction. Cook another 10 minutes and check. Biscuits are done when they are a light golden brown. If they are not all the correct colour, turn the pan again, and check after 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once the sausage is browned, spoon 2 to 3 large spoonfuls of flour over, mixing to ensure all the sausage has a light coating.
- Pour in about a half cup of milk, stirring the coated sausage. The gravy will thicken up as it cooks. Add milk as needed to get your preferred consistency.
You can eat this as is, splitting a biscuit and dousing it with gravy. Add some eggs on the side. My husband will make toast, place a fried egg on top, and ladle some gravy over.